Questions about SWCA’s Internship Program?
Which SWCA offices offer internships?
- Amherst, Mass.
- Portland, Maine
- Baton Rouge, La.
- Austin, Texas
- San Antonio, Texas
- Houston, Texas
- Arlington, Texas
- Denver, Colo.
- Flagstaff, Ariz.
- Tucson, Ariz.
- Phoenix, Ariz.
- Salt Lake City, Utah
- Pasadena, Calif.
- SWCA also offers internship positions within our corporate functions, such as Marketing, GIS, and IT, which can often be done remotely.
How long do internships typically last?
Typically, SWCA internships last a minimum of 10-12 weeks. However, we sometimes invite interns to extend their internship for a few weeks or months based on need and availability.
How many hours per week can I expect to work as an SWCA intern?
SWCA interns typically work 40-50 hours per week.
Can I apply for more than one internship?
Yes! We encourage you to apply for any and all internships that are of interest to you.
Can I get academic credit for an internship at SWCA?
Yes! However, whether or not a student can be awarded academic credit for their internship is a decision between the student and their institution of higher learning. It is incumbent on the student to make all the arrangements and receive the necessary permission from their school. The student’s SWCA internship supervisor can then provide the necessary documentation.
Can I apply for an SWCA internship if I am an international student?
Yes! Students on an F1 Visa are eligible to apply to SWCA internship positions.
Are SWCA’s internships paid?
Yes! All SWCA interns are paid at least the state minimum wage or $15/ hour.
Can I do my internship remotely?
Possibly. Some departments, such as GIS, have a fully distributed (remote) workforce, but most departments require interns to be available for field and office work. SWCA’s COVID-19 Safe at Work practices will dictate our in-person work in 2021.
Do SWCA internships require travel?
Many of our positions will require travel to field projects. These positions will indicate on the job posting if travel is required. For these positions, reliable transportation is required. For those driving on behalf of SWCA, a motor vehicle driving record screening will be conducted as part of the onboarding process.
Please note that some SWCA internships require long periods (days to weeks) in the field, while others do not require travel at all.
How do I find housing?
Use the following sources to access a variety of housing listings nationally. This list is not exhaustive and is only intended to provide you a starting point in your search. Please evaluate your housing options carefully, as not all may be suitable for student living.
- Apartment List - Aggregated apartment listings from hundreds of sources across the country
- Craig’s List - Contains housing listings for various cities throughout the US
- Hostels.com - Lists hostels throughout the US (and worldwide)
- JuneHomes.com - Offering fully furnished apartments without having to lock into a long-term lease
- Sublet.com - Apartment rentals, sublets, houses, and rooms for rent in major US cities
- Zumper - Map-based search for home & apartment rentals with real-time updates. Also available on iOS & Android
- Trulia - Search rooms & apartments for rent by location.
Does SWCA hire interns for permanent positions at the end of the internship period?
Former SWCA interns are often the best candidates in applying for our open positions and many have been hired as full-time employees. However, there is no guarantee that interns will be selected for full-time positions.