Transportation projects are essential to public safety and a strong economy. Our team helps them move forward, no matter how challenging or complex – from highway construction to transit to waterways to airports, and all points in between.
SWCA has developed a transportation practice with highly skilled project managers supported by teams of scientists, planners, and subject matter experts. From environmental planning to permitting and compliance, SWCA has the experience to help move transportation projects forward.
SWCA has contracts that support departments of transportation and public works, port and airport authorities, regional transportation authorities, and engineering firms throughout the country. In every case, wherever the project and however large or small, our single focus is to provide meaningful consulting, constructive ideas, and active project management to support your project through completion, efficiently and successfully.
• Arizona Airports Association
• Arizona Transportation Builders Association
• Association of Pacific Ports (APP)
• Transportation Advocacy Group Houston
• Women in Transportation
- Constraints and Feasibility Studies
- GIS Mapping and Alternatives Analyses
- Owner’s Environmental Representative and Staff Augmentation
- Community-based Transportation Plans and Land Use Needs Assessments
- Section 4(f)/6(f) Evaluations
Licensing and Permitting
- Comprehensive National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Analyses, Document Preparation, and Agency Collaboration
- Complete Permit Compliance Strategy Development, Tracking, and Data Management
- Preparation of Supporting Documentation and Permit Application Packages
- Airport Wildlife Hazard Assessments
- Wildlife Habitat Connectivity and Crossing Assessments
- Wetlands Studies
- Wetland and Stream Mitigation Banking
- Habitat Restoration
- Special Status Species Surveys, Reports, and Agency Consultations
cultural and historic resources
- National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) Compliance
- Tribal and Ethnohistoric Consultation
- Archaeological Studies, Documentation, and Reports
construction environmental compliance
- Comprehensive Environmental Compliance Management Plan Development
- Construction Compliance Team Staffing, Management, Mitigation Tracking, and Reporting
- Invasive Species Control and Prevention
- Restoration Plan Preparation and Success Monitoring
- Development of Best Management Practices (BMP) and Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP)
Meet the Experts
Relevant Case Studies
In January 2015, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) released the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) — produced in close coordination with SWCA — for the proposed Angoon Airport in Alaska. The document’s use of plain language, easy-to-understand graphics, and a navigable structure has earned praise from EIS readers and reviewers.
Invasive species are one of the greatest threats to the environment, economy, health, and quality of life of people. Planning ahead, securing funds, and hiring experts to develop an invasive species management program can help DOTs cost-effectively mitigate this problem. Preventing the next invasive species can save states millions of dollars in control and mitigation costs.
Cultural & Historic Resources
The Mission San Gabriel was founded in what is today San Gabriel, CA, by Franciscan priests at the end of the 18th century. As the city has grown, however, the need for infrastructure came in conflict with the history of the site. SWCA has conducted extensive cultural resources surveys and evaluations, mitigation, and monitoring to meet the needs of the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA) and various stakeholders.
Every once in a while, a project that started as a routine compliance effort takes an unanticipated turn. SWCA Tucson’s Sunset Road Cultural Resources Data Recovery Project did exactly that when a backhoe operator uncovered human footprints dating ca. 1000 B.C. The team went on to earn an award for their handling of the find.
Take the Next Step
Request more information about our transportation capabilities.